Called the “Orchestre du Nouveau Cercle des Étrangers” in 1856, and the “Orchestre National de l’Opéra de Monte-Carlo” in 1958, it has held the name “Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo” (OPMC) since 1980 and occupies a place of choice in the international world of music.
Its ability to combine tradition and modernity, gives the OPMC leadership in the performance of symphonic works from the great repertoire, in the renewal of rare and contemporary works, as well as in operatic and choreographic creation.
Among the many who have headed the OPMC from 1856 to the present under diverse designations (Permanent Conductor, Titular Conductor, First Guest Conductor, Music Director, Artistic and Musical Director) may be mentioned Alexandre Hermann, Eusèbe Lucas, Léon Jehin, Louis Ganne, Marc Cesar Scotto, Victor de Sabata, Paul Paray, Henri Tomasi, Louis Fremaux, Edouard van Remoortel, Igor Markevitch, Lovro von Matacic, Lawrence Foster, James DePreist, Marek Janowski, Yakov Kreizberg, Gianluigi Gelmetti (with the title of Honorary Conductor) and, since the 2016-2017 season, Kazuki Yamada.
The “OPMC Classics” label was launched in the autumn of 2010, with five records under the direction of Yakov Kreizberg, three under Gianluigi Gelmetti and several more planned as of 2017 with Kazuki Yamada.
Under the chair of HRH The Princess of Hanover, the OPMC enjoys the support and encouragement of HSH Prince Albert II, the support of the Government of the Principality, Société des Bains de Mer, Compagnie Monégasque de Banque (CMB) and the Friends of the Philharmonic Orchestra Association.